Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sick as a dog, what's your story?

It's been a lousy, just lousy couple of months.  If it isn't one illness its another.

Back in mid September a virus of unknown origin took hold in my body.  This mystery virus was brutal in that it reduced me to an infirmed old man.  Just as that passed, I got a cold.  Like any cold it came and went in about 7 days time.

And then my daughter sneezed in my face.  She'd had a cold too.

She's turning 2 next month, so she gets a pass on that sort of thing.  My immune system did not get a pass and now 2 weeks later I finally went through the night and morning without doubling over coughing and producing nasty mucus.

My oldest son started Kindergarten this year.  When he was very young, between 3 - 6 months he went to daycare and then later before his brother was born, he spent time with my wife at a home she nannied at.  So on the one hand the kids never really got sick and got all the bugs their peers in daycare got.  That isn't to say they never got sick.  Bugs were picked up at the supermarket, Target, Walmart, etc. or I'd bring them home from my work.

So now I give myself one week to recover fully and get my strength back and then it's back on the bike/ exercise.  I've been down & out for nearly a month and a half with sporadic riding in that time so I'm at the low ebb of my fitness right now.

The plan is to just ride at lunch outside and ride myself back into something over the next month or so.  I'll ride at lunch until my vacation in January hopefully.  Once vacation is over, I kick into 2017 training full time and more importantly - Mt. Washington Hill Climb training full time.  I'll have more on that last nugget soon.  I don't plan on attempting it in 2017, but I do look to do it in 2018...

Anyway, I'm (fingers crossed, salt tossed, etc) on the mend and that's all I care about right now...

Bonus points to those who recognize the song whose lyric is the post title.

No comments:

Post a Comment